Batch 1: 20 Jan – 28 Jan 2018
The Frozen River Trek, commonly known as the Chadar Trek, is one of the challenging treks in the Ladakh region. The strenuous trail on the ice-clogged river that passes through valleys, mountain caves and frozen waterfalls. It is one of the most arduous treks of Indian Himalaya as the trekkers will pass through craggy rocks and the temperature may dip to below minus 20 degrees. Like a walk to paradise, the Chadar Trek swipes several trekker’s dream making it a part of their diary. The journey leads off from Ladakh to the snowbound villages of the Zanskar Valley.
Difficulty: Moderate. The walks are long and temperature is always in minus.
Trail Type: Easy gradient. It is almost a flat walk on the frozen river.
Altitude: Highest altitude 10,900 feet (Nerak)
Temperature: Between -5° to -10°C during the day. Can drop to -25°C during the night.
8 nights / 9 days
Day 1 (20th Jan): Fly to Leh & Report to hotel/ Guest house
Arrive Leh by flight and report to hotel. Rest of the day free for acclimatization. Overnight stay at the hotel.
Day 2 (21st Jan): Drive to Tilad-Sumdo via Chilling Village.
Drive from Leh to Chilling and Tilad Sumdo. On way enjoy magnificent confluence of River Zanskar and Indus. Chilling villages is well known for craftsmanship, especially the metal works. At Tilad Sumdo we will land on Chadar and trek for 1/2 hrs over the magnificent frozen Zanskar river, learn the way to adjust yourself to on the frozen slippery ice …. Overnight in tent.
Day 3 (22nd Jan): Tilad Sumdo to Shingra Kongma. aprox 6 hrs trek over the Chadar.
Post breakfast start trek to Shingra Kongma by 8:00am. Enjoy the walk over full-fledged frozen river and listen to different sounds of Chadar forming and breaking. …. Overnight in tent.
Day 4 (23rd Jan): Shingra Koma to Dibb Cave. aprox 8 hrs trek over the Chadar.
The beauty of the Chadar treks starts from here. The most enjoyable and scenic trek passing through some magnificent beautiful waterfalls and frozen ice cliffs give a heavenly experience. The walk also crosses through narrow gorges, where the trekker may have to climb on the Rocky River bank. The sharp bends and current of the river breaks the ice in some places. …. Overnight in tent.
Day 5 (24th Jan): Dibb cave to Neyrak Pullu 7 hrs trek over Chadar.
Again one of the beautiful trek over the Chadar. It gives you a chance to test your trekking skills if the Chadar is not very firm. The vistas are stunning though as we pass through giant frozen waterfalls, ice cliffs. One may even catch sight of the mountain fox. …. Overnight in tent.
Day 6 (25th Jan): Neyrak to Dibb cave.
Technically our return journey starts today. Though it is the same way back, it is quite different, as the Chadar is always changing, breaking up and forming itself again. The same route and place would look and feel differently as the texture and conditions change. …. Overnight in tent.
Day 7 (26th Jan): Tip Cave to Shingra Kongma.
The trek on this day allows one to take in the beautiful landscape that one might have missed during the beginning of the trek. …. Overnight in tent.
Day 8 (27th Jan): Shingra Kongma to Tilat Sumdo and drive to Leh. Night stay in Hotel.
Enjoy the Chadar for one last day before heading back to Chilling / Leh.
Day 9 (28th Jan): Checkout of Hotel & drive to Leh airport for flight back to home with sweet memories.
The above plan is based on an “Ideal” scenario where everything goes per plan & considering that there is no breakdown. It is subject to change in Real Time based on ground realities.
Rs 23,000/- per participant.
- Twin sharing hotel accommodation at Leh for 2 nights on MAP basis (Breakfast & Dinner included)
- Pickup & Drop from Leh airport to hotel
- Surface Transfers from Leh Hotel to Base Camp and Back to Hotel
- Tented accommodation during Trek along with Sleeping bag to sustain temperature up to -40°C
- All meals during the trek and would be simple, nourishing & vegetarian.
- Services of Experienced guide and cook during trek
- Basic Medical kit
- Air travel to and from Leh
- Personal / Accident insurance.
- Porter’s service to carry your personal luggage on the trek.
- Bottled water, Cold drinks, Room services, Laundry service at the hotel
- Additional costs for Hotel accommodation, transport services due to flight cancellation, or any other issues.
- Additional accommodation and food expenses if trek gets delayed due to weather, health or any other reason.
- Expenses for evacuation and rescue operations due to natural calamity, mishaps, injury or any health problem.
- The proposed Wildlife Fees, Environmental Fees and other fees that are being put forward by LAHDC and ALTOA organization.
- Any other items which is specifically not mentioned in the above INCLUSIONS.
For Registration, Contact – 9167966042, 9930691186, 8369580471, 9869509488
Limited seats, entry on first come first served basis
Standard administrative charge of 10% of the cost of the trip
Between 60 – 30 days: 25% of the Trip Cost
Between 29 – 20 days: 50% of the Trip Cost
Between 19 – 10 days: 75% of the Trip Cost
Less than 9 days from date of departure: 100% of the Trip Cost
- Consumption of alcohol, Drugs, Narcotics is strictly banned on the event & should lead to expulsion from the trek.
- The leader’s decision will be final and binding on all members. No arguments will be entertained.
- Each member will be responsible for his/her own safety and baggage.
- Please do not wear any jewelry or gold chains/rings.
- Please do not litter, we believe in the saying, “Wherever you go, leave only your footprints and take back only memories.”
Hiking / Trekking / Rock climbing is an adventurous activity and accidents can happen in spite of taking utmost caution and care. The organization will not be responsible for any injury / accident / death to the participant while on trek.
It is Important to be physically fit while on treks. If suffering from any allergy or ailment, please bring prescribed medicines to prevent serious health problem including heatstroke, sever headache, cough, dehydration and hypothermia. Participants suffering from chronic conditions like asthma bronchitis, blood pressure, migraine, diabetes etc should take permission from their physicians before treks.