Nisarga Bhraman has arranged a family tour to the Velas Beach to attend the Turtle Festival 2018 organised by “Sahyadri Nisarga Mitra”-Chiplun and Velas village Gram Panchayat. This festival gives an opportunity for the tourists to bid best wishes to the newly born sea turtle hatchlings while they crawl towards the sea. The Olive Ridleys, which are protected under Schedule 1 of the Wildlife Protection Act- 1972, comes in large numbers for the nesting season Nov-Jan which might get extended till Feb and beyond depending on the weather conditions. The female digs a hole in sand and lays ~100 – 120 eggs which gets incubated after 45 to 55 days.
A brief history of the work by NGO “Sahyadri Nisarga Mitra” (SNM)…
SNM started Marine turtle conservation first time in Maharashtra in the year 2002 in Velas, Ratnagiri Dist. In the first year SNM successfully protected 50 nests. Within a short span of time SNM spread the protection work to entire coast of Maharashtra state, that’s about 720 kms of coastline in all. So far SNM has protected more than 800 nests and successfully released more than 35,000 hatchlings.
In between viewing the turtle hatchlings, we will also go sightseeing in and around Velas, the birthplace of the historical figure Nana Phadnavis, a diplomat during the Peshwa regime. We will be visiting Bankot fort (Himmatgad) and the tomb of Mary Sophia and her infant daughter Ellen, the wife and daughter respectively of a British civil servant Arthur Malet.
While on our return journey we will be visiting the Harihareshwar temple and if lucky we can view hordes of migratory birds at Kelshi and Harihareshwar beach.
Friday 9, Mar’18
Meet at Sanjay Gandhi National Park Gate, Borivali at 09:30 pm
Travel towards Velas by private non a/c vehicle. Pickups on the way at Andheri, Bandra, Sion, Vashi and Panvel.
Saturday 10, Mar’18
- Reach Velas by 5:30 am
- Freshen up and move towards Velas Beach to see Turtle hatchings by 7:00 am
- Back to village for Breakfast
- Leave to Bankot Fort by 10:00 am
- Back to Village by 12:00 pm
- Lunch and Rest
- Evening Tea by 4:00 pm
- Visit to the Velas Beach to find out some more Turtle hatching
- Documentary on various activities by “Nisarga Mitra” by 8.00 pm
- Dinner and Goodnight by 10:30 pm
Sunday 11, Mar’18
- Good morning by 5:0 am and freshen up
- Visit Velas Beach to see Turtle hatching
- Back to village for Breakfast
- Leave for Harihareshwar by 8:30 am
- Visit Harihareshwar Temple & Beach
- Lunch at Harihareshwar
- Travel towards Mumbai by 3:00 pm
- Reach Mumbai by 10:00 pm (Subjective)
Rs. 2,700/- per participant
- Travel from Mumbai to Velas by private non A/c vehicle starting from National Park
- Accommodation in a typical Konkani house on sharing basis.(No separate rooms / hotel accommodation is not available)
- Ferryboat Charges & entry tickets
- Food (Saturday- B’fast, veg lunch, evng tea, veg dinner and Sunday- B’fast)
- Visit to Bankot fort
- Festival charges and entry fee & NB expertise charges
- Lunch on Sunday
- Personal / Accident insurance
- Bottled water, Cold drinks etc.
- Any other items which is specifically not mentioned in the above INCLUSIONS.
To register your seat please transfer event cost in the account below:
Account Name: Nisarga Bhraman Eco Tours
Account No.: 50200024447001 (Current)
RTGS/NEFT/IFSC Code: 0000414
Bank: HDFC Bank
Branch: Shantivan, Borivali (East)
After making the payment through net banking or mobile, please take a screenshot of the transaction and mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org or send it over Whatsup.
Limited seats, entry on first come first served basis
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/nisargabhraman/
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NisargaBhraman/
- ID Card
- 2 ltrs water
- Camera (Optional)
- Enerzyl Powder or Glucon D powder
- Snacks & Biscuits
- Cap, sunglasses, scarf
- Please carry medicines if you need any
- Consumption of alcohol, Drugs, Narcotics is strictly banned on the event & should lead to expulsion from the trek
- The leader’s decision will be final and binding on all members. No arguments will be entertained
- Each member will be responsible for his/her own safety and baggage
- Please do not wear any jewellery or gold chains/rings
- Please do not litter, we believe in the saying, “Wherever you go, leave only your footprints and take back only memories.”
Hiking / Trekking / Rock climbing is an adventurous activity and accidents can happen in spite of taking utmost caution and care. The organization will not be responsible for any injury / accident / death to the participant while on trek.
It is Important to be physically fit while on treks. If suffering from any allergy or ailment, please bring prescribed medicines to prevent serious health problem including heatstroke, severe headache, cough, dehydration and hypothermia. Participants suffering from chronic conditions like asthma bronchitis, blood pressure, migraine, diabetes etc. should take permission from their physicians before treks.