Harishchandragad is a beautiful hill fort in the Ahmednagar region and a very popular trekking destination in the western ghats. The fort is quite ancient and the remnants of Microlithic man have been discovered here. The various Puranas (ancient scriptures) include many references about Harishchandragad. The citadel is said to be built in the 6th century during the rule of Kalachuri dynasty. The various caves probably have been carved out in the 11th century. Great sage Changdev, used to meditate here in the 14th century.
Places worth visiting on the Fort includes-
Saptatirtha Pushkarni –
It is a well-built lake near east of Harishchandreshwar temple. On its bank are temple-like constructions in which there are idols of Lord Vishnu. Recently these idols have been shifted in the caves near the temple of Harishchandreshwar.
It located towards the right of Harishchandreshwar temple. There is a big Shiva Linga in the cave which is completely surrounded by water. Its height from the base is five feet, and the water is waist-deep. Another interesting thing about this place is that water seeps into this temple from the walls everyday during all the seasons throughout the year, except during rainy season.
This cliff faces west and looks down upon the Konkan, and is the major attraction amongst the trekkers. It provides a spectacular view of the surrounding region. The cliff has an overhang. One phenomenon that can be observed at this place is the vertical cloud burst, in which the clouds nearing the cliff get sucked into the pit fall area below and are thrown vertically into the sky reaching more than 50 feet creating the impression of a wall that is rising straight from the edge of the cliff without entering the landmass area.
Temple of Harishchandreshwar-
This temple is marvelous example of the fine art of carving sculptures out of stones that prevailed in ancient India. It is about 16 m high from its base. Around this temple there a few caves & water tanks. The river Mangal Ganga is said to originate from one of the tanks located close to the temple. The top of the temple resembles construction with the north-Indian temples. Here we can see many tombs, in which a typical construction is seen. These are built by well-finished stones arrange one on top of the other.
Friday- 25 May’18
- Catch the last local train (slow) to Kasara starting Mumbai CST- 00:14 am
(Halting @ Dadar- 00:32 am/ Kurla- 00:42 am/ Thane- 1:08 am/ Kalyan- 1:41 am/ Kasara- 2:55 am)
Saturday- 26 May’18
- Reach Kasara by 3:00 am
- Travel by private Jeep to base village, Pachnai
- Freshen up and Breakfast
- Start trek by 8:00 am and reach top by 10:30 am
- Explore historical monuments Viz. Shiv mandir/ Caves/ Pushkarni/ Shiv lingam
- Lunch and Rest
- Enjoy Sunset at Kokankada
- Dinner and Enjoy camp fire till 10:30 pm
Sunday- 27 May’18
- Good morning at 6:00 am
- Post breakfast, visit Taramati Peak
- Descend and reach Pachnai by 1:00 pm
- Lunch by 1:30 pm
- Travel towards Kasara & reach by 6:00 pm approx
- Reach Mumbai by 9:00pm approx.
Rs. 1,600/- per participant
- Travel from Kasara to Pachnai and back by private jeep
- Food (Saturday- Breakfast, Lunch, tea-snacks, Dinner/ Sunday- Breakfast, Lunch)
- NB expertise charges
- Train ticket to & from Kasara
- Personal / Accident insurance
- Bottled water, Cold drinks etc.
- Any other items which is specifically not mentioned in the above INCLUSIONS.
For Registration, Contact – 99306 91186/ 91679 66042/ 83695 80471/ 98695 09488
To register your seat please transfer event cost in the account below:
Account Name: Nisarga Bhraman Eco Tours
Account No.: 50200024447001 (Current)
RTGS/NEFT/IFSC Code: 0000414
Bank: HDFC Bank
Branch: Shantivan, Borivali (East)
After making the payment through net banking or mobile, please take a screenshot of the transaction and mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org or send it over Whatsup.
Limited seats, entry on first come first served basis
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/nisargabhraman/
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NisargaBhraman/
- ID Card
- 2 ltrs water
- Camera (Optional)
- Enerzyl Powder or Glucon D powder
- Snacks & Biscuits
- Extra Pair of Clothes
- Cap, sunglasses, scarf
- Please carry medicines if you need any
- Consumption of alcohol, Drugs, Narcotics is strictly banned on the event & should lead to expulsion from the trek
- The leader’s decision will be final and binding on all members. No arguments will be entertained
- Each member will be responsible for his/her own safety and baggage
- Please do not wear any jewellery or gold chains/rings
- Please do not litter, we believe in the saying, “Wherever you go, leave only your footprints and take back only memories.”
Hiking / Trekking / Rock climbing is an adventurous activity and accidents can happen in spite of taking utmost caution and care. The organization will not be responsible for any injury / accident / death to the participant while on trek.
It is Important to be physically fit while on treks. If suffering from any allergy or ailment, please bring prescribed medicines to prevent serious health problem including heatstroke, severe headache, cough, dehydration and hypothermia. Participants suffering from chronic conditions like asthma bronchitis, blood pressure, migraine, diabetes etc. should take permission from their physicians before treks.